Resources for the General Reader
BBC Report on Artificial intelligence: How to turn Siri into Samantha
One Hundred Year Study on AI (Presentation, Framing memo, 2016 Report, press release, Science, NYTimes)
Situated Interaction project, recent story, publications
- Rise of Concerns about AI: Reflections and Directions, Communications of the ACM, 58(10) 38-40.
- Decisions & Ethics Center interview
- Privacy, AI and the AI Enterprise, Presentation at IAPP, Wash DC.
ICMI 2015 Award Lecture
- TEDx presentation on People, Computation, and Intelliegence, TEDx Austin, February 2013.
- On "six degrees of separation" between people (CNBC video), Washington Post, Nature article, short presentation (Princeton, 2009), additional information.
- Short talk on Predicting Future Health outcomes (Connected Healthcare meeting)
- Big Data, Big Disease: Mining for Medical Breakthroughs at Atlantic Meets the Pacific meeting.
- Keeping Up with The Jetsons at Atlantic-Live New York ideas meeting.
- Series on Data Analytics: From Data to Knowledge to Action, Computing Community Consortium, September 2010.
- Discussion on "A Golden Era of Insight", February 2013.
- Crowdphysics (New Scientist article)
- Challenge and Promise of Artificial Intelligence: Bay Area Science Festival Dialog at the Computer History Museum.
- Machine Learning and Intelligence in our Midst, Techfest presentation, March 2012.
- Short video on Lifebrowser, on machine learning about memory landmarks.
- Predictive analytics in healthcare, on methods shipping in Amalga.
- Work on predictive analytics for traffic and routing, including methods shipping in Bing Maps
- Surprise Modeling - video (Technology Review, Ten Emerging Technologies).
- Minds, Machines, and Intelligence: A Conversation, Behind the Code series.
- A Fifty-Year Forecast: Reflection on the Future (New Scientist)
- Presentation on vision systems in human-computer interaction, with focus on work on surface computing (Gartner meeting, San Francisco).
- AAAI Presidential Panel on Long-Term AI Futures (access interim report; AP news).
- Overview video on efforts on Situated Interaction project, focused on open-world dialog.
- Discovery Channel visit to Microsoft Research exploring technology behind an automated admin named PASS (for Personal Assistant for Scheduling System).
- On Computational Visions of the Holodeck (Science of Start Trek, World Science Festival, 2010).
- Radio discussion on long-term directions with AI (NPR LA).
- News story on efforts with dialog systems and speech recognition (New York Times).
- Medical Bayesian kiosk, video demo showing multiparty dialog in a diagnostic triage setting.
- Study of medical search on the web, "cyberchondria" (NY Times, Washington Post stories; Scientific American and American Public Radio podcasts).
- Artificial Intelligence Theory and Practice: Hard Challenges and Opportunities Ahead (panel discussion), Faculty Summit, Microsoft Research, July 2008 (video, photo).
- Presentation of Notification Platform project as part of Bill Gates keynote at CHI 2001, Seattle, April 2001 (photo, video).
- Man-Made Minds: Living with Thinking Machines (World Science Festival, 2011 - photo).
- Computing Futures: Directions and Reflections (video) (presentation at Connected Health Conference, June 2009).
- How Much is Your Time Worth?
- Overview video on efforts in notifications, attention, interaction
- Discussion about Artificial Intelligence (Charlie Rose Show).
- Microsoft Sees Software Agent as Way to Avoid Distractions (NY Times)
- Considerate Computing (Scientific American)
- Reflections on Challenges and Promises of Mixed-Initiative Interaction (Forward to a collection of articles, AI Magazine)
- On the promise of intelligent tutoring systems from Understanding the Odds in Life documentary. Other clips: Decisions vs. outcomes, Human judgment, and Bayes rule.
- Models of Attention in Computing and Communications: From Principles to Applications (Communications of the ACM)
- Whitepaper on Data, Predictions, and Decisions from Computing Community Consortium.
- Whitepaper Directions with Computing in Healthcare from Computing Community Consortium.
- R. White and E. Horvitz. Predicting Escalations of Medical Queries Based on Web Page Structure and Content, SIGIR 2010, Geneva, Switzerland, July 2010.
- Automated Triage of Email in the Outlook Mobile Manager
- All the News that Fit to Read
- Toward Courteous Automated Assistants
- Preferences about Privacy and Sharing
- Zooming in on Small Devices
Where Do You Want to Go Today? (IEEE Computer)
- A Study of Preferences for Sharing and Privacy. (CHI 2005)
- A Curse of Riches or a Blessing? Information Access and Awareness under Scarce Cognitive Resources (Keynote summary, Adaptive Hypermedia)
- Uncertainty, Action, and Interaction: In Pursuit of Mixed-Initiative Computing. (IEEE Intelligent Systems)
- Challenge Problems for Artificial Intelligence. (AAAI)
Back to Eric Horvitz's home page.