Online Data and Health
- J. Paparrizos, R.W. White, E. Horvitz. Screening for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma using
Signals from Web Search Logs: Feasibility Study and Results, Journal
of Oncology Practice, June 7, 2016. doi:
- M.J. Paul, R.W. White, E. Horvitz. Search
and Breast Cancer: On Episodic Shifts of Attention over Life Histories of
an Illness, ACM Transactions on the Web (ACM TWEB), 2016.
- E. Horvitz and D. Mulligan. Data,
privacy, and the greater good, 16 July 2015, Science 349. 253-255
- R.W. White, S. Wang, A. Pant, R. Harpaz, P. Shukla, W.
Sun, W. DuMouchel, E. Horvitz. Early
Identification of Adverse Drug Reactions from Search Log Data, Journal
of Biomedical Informatics. 59:42–48, 2015.
- R.W. White and E. Horvitz. Belief
Dynamics and Biases in Web Search. ACM Transactions on Information
Systems (ACM TOIS), In Press.
- M.J. Paul, R.W. White, E. Horvitz. Diagnoses,
Decisions, and Outcomes: Web Search as Decision Support for Cancer. In
Proceedings of WWW 2015.
- R.W. White, R. Harpaz, N.H. Shah, W. DuMouchel, and E. Horvitz. Toward Enhanced Pharmacovigilance using Patient-Generated
Data on the Internet, Nature
CPT, April 2014.
- R.W. White, N.P. Tatonetti,
N. H. Shah, R.B. Altman, E. Horvitz. Web-Scale Pharmacovigilance: Listening to Signals from
the Crowd. JAMIA, March 2013.
- R.W. White and E. Horvitz. Cyberchondria: Studies of the Escalation of Medical Concerns in Web
Search. ACM Transactions on
Information Systems, 27(4), Article 23, November 2009, DOI
- M. Cartright, R.W. White, and
E. Horvitz. Intentions and Attention in Exploratory Health Search, SIGIR 2011, Beijing, China, July 2011.
- R. White and E. Horvitz. Predicting Escalations of Medical Queries Based on Web
Page Structure and Content,
SIGIR 2010, Geneva, Switzerland, July 2010.
- A. Kapoor, N. Eagle, E. Horvitz. People, Quakes, and Communications: Inferences from
Call Dynamics about a Seismic Event and its Influences on a Population. Proceedings of AAAI Symposium on Artificial
Intelligence for Development, Stanford CA, March 2010.
- R. White and E. Horvitz. Web to World: Predicting Transitions from
Self-Diagnosis to the Pursuit of Local Medical Assistance in Web Search, AMIA 2010, Washington DC, November
- M. De Choudhury, S. Counts, E. Horvitz. Predicting Postpartum Changes in Emotion and Behavior
via Social Media, CHI 2013, April 2013,
- M. De Choudhury, S. Counts, E. Horvitz. Major Life Changes and Behavioral Markers in Social
Media: Case of Childbirth,
CSCW 2013, February 2013, San Antonio, Texas.
- R.W. White and E. Horvitz. From Web Search to Healthcare Utilization:
Privacy-Sensitive Studies from Mobile Data, JAMIA: Journal of the American Medical Informatics
Association, June 2012, doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000765.
- A. Fourney, R.W. White, E. Horvitz. Exploring Time-Dependent Concerns about Pregnancy and
Childbirth from Search Logs.
In Proceedings of CHI 2015.
- M.J. Paul, R.W. White, E. Horvitz. Diagnoses, Decisions, and Outcomes: Web Search as
Decision Support for Cancer.
In Proceedings of WWW 2015.
- Ryen W. White and Eric Horvitz. Belief Dynamics and Biases in Web Search. ACM Transactions on Information Systems (ACM TOIS).
- M. De Choudhury, S. Counts, E. Horvitz, A. Hoff. Characterizing and Predicting Postpartum Depression
from Facebook Data., ICWSM
2014, Baltimore, MD, February 2014.
- S. Yang, R. White, E. Horvitz. Pursuing Insights about Healthcare Utilization via
Geocoded Search Queries,
SIGIR 2013, Dublin, Ireland, July 2013.
- E. Yom-Tov, R. W. White, E. Horvitz. Seeking
Insights about Cycling Disorders via Anonymized Search Logs, Journal of Medical Internet Research, 2014 16(2):e65.
- M. De Choudhury, M. Gamon, S. Counts, E. Horvitz. Predicting Depression via Social Media, ICWSM 2013, Boston, MA, July
- M. De Choudhury, S. Counts, E. Horvitz. Social Media as a Measurement Tool of Depression in
2013, May 2013, Paris, France.
- R. West, R.W. White, E. Horvitz, From Cookies to Cooks: Insights on Dietary Patterns via
Analysis of Web Usage Logs,
WWW 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 2013.
- Ryen W. White and E. Horvitz. Captions and Biases in Diagnostic Search, ACM Transactions
on the Web (ACM TWEB), 2013.
- Ryen W. White and E. Horvitz. From Health Search to Health Care: Explorations of
Intention and Utilization via Query Logs and User Surveys, Journal of the American Medical Informatics
Association (JAMIA), May 2013.
- K. Radinsky and E. Horvitz. Mining the Web to Predict Future Events, WSDM 2013, Rome, February 2013.
R. White and
E. Horvitz. Studies of the Onset and Persistence of Medical Concerns in
Search Logs, SIGIR 2012, Portland, OR,