Some coverage of research efforts
Mr. Gates Builds His Brain Trust, Randall Stross and Alicia Hills Moore, Fortune Magazine, December 1997.
- Digital valets might happen in 2001, Kevin Maney, USA TODAY.
- Keynote address by Bill Gates at CTIA Wireless conference, where he describes R & D on the Notification Platform project and demonstrates the Priorities system.
- A Look Inside Microsoft Research, Sara Hedberg, IEEE
Intelligent Systems (March, April '98) (highlights of work on intelligent systems at Microsoft Research.
article copyright IEEE Intelligent Systems 1998, used with
- Managing the Mountain:
For too many people, information is proving to be more of a burden than a resource. But help is on the way. Don Clark, The Wall Street Journal,
June 21, 1999.
- Spam Killers, William Baldwin, Forbes Magazine, September 1998 (on research and
development on detecting, filtering out junk email
- AI by another name, The Economist, March 2002.
- Intelligent agent technology staging a comeback, Paul Festa, CNET News.
- Big Ideas From Small Creatures, Rebecca Vesely, Business 2.0 Magazine, Image: hanging out with the jellies, January 1999.
- Computer Scientists Search for Ties to Biological Intelligence, Tim Studt, editor in chief, R&D Magazine, October 1998.
- Intelligence Considered, Philip Yam, Scientific American, November 1998.
- Biology Computes, Chris O'Malley, Popular Science,
- From Carbon to Silicon: Scientists Map Convergence of Brains and Computers, Michael J. Martinez, ABCNEWS.com, August 1998. (Click here for additional coverage on the Institute on Intelligent Systems, August 1998
A national television commercial featuring the Lookout system, highlighting conversation with a computer-based assistant. View at low or at higher bandwidth.
Microsoft and the Reverend Bayes, Thomas Eppel, Decision Analysis Society Newsletter, December 1996.
Improbable Inspiration, Leslie Helm, Los Angeles Times, October 1996.
A Kinder, Gentler Usenet , Janelle Brown, Salon, September 1998.
A.I. Reboots, Michael Hiltzik,
MIT Technology Review, March '02. Image: whiteboard scrawl
Microsoft is Calling You, Phil Harvey,
Red Herring, June '00 (article on Priorities and Notification Platform projects).
Microsoft Sees Software Agent as Way to Avoid Distractions, John Markoff,
New York Times, July '00 (article on Notification Platform and overall Attentional User Interface project).
Microsoft Invests in Mathematicians, Allyn Jackson, Notices of the American Mathematical Society, June-July
Artificial intelligence isn't just a movie, Kevin Maney, USA Today, June 2001.
Mobile Manager has an almost telepathic ability to distinguish junk mail from genuinely important messages, Economist, March 2001.
Anticiparallelism (aka Continual Computation). Gary Anthes, Computerworld, January 2002.
From the Ether. Bob Metcalfe writes on some of his long-term and more recent passions, including continual computation.
A special Fawcette Pub compilation on The Future of Software, Nov, '00. Interview on several efforts in the Adaptive Systems & Interaction team at MS Research..
Juggling props with the gang in a Newsweek centerfold, March 1998.
FDA plays hardball with software: Even stand-alone programs are regulated as a medical device, Greg Borzo, American Medical News, August 1996.
Robotics, Virtual Worlds Meet Medicine, Sharyn Rosenbaum, Health Industry Today, November 1992.
Back to Eric Horvitz's home page