Activities and service
- Member, National Library of Medicine (NLM) Working Group, 2014-2015.
- Chair, External Advisory Committee, Center for Causal Discovery, 2015-2016.
- Member, NITRD Working Group of President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST), 2014-2015. (See Report to the President and Congress on Federally Funded R&D in Information Technology.)
- Editor, Journal of AI Research (JAIR) Track on Human Computation, 2014-2016.
- Member, NSF CISE Advisory Committee, 2008-2012.
- Chair, Section on Information, Computing, and Communication, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2013-2014.
- President, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (statement), 2007-2009.
- Council, Computing Community Consortium (CCC), 2010-2013.
- Board of Trustees, International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), 2012-2016.
- Area Editor,
Journal of the ACM (JACM) (Decisions, Uncertainty, and Computation area).
- Associate Editor, Decision Analysis Journal.
- President's Advisory Board, Language Technologies Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, 2012.
- EECS Program Review Committee, UC-Berkeley, 2009.
- Computer Science & Engineering External Advisory Board, University of Washington, 2008.
- President's Advisory Board, Machine Learning Department, Carnegie-Mellon University, 2007.
- Co-chair, NSF CISE/SBE AC Subcommittee on Research Portfolio Analysis, 2009-2010.
- Member, Naval Research Advisory Committee (NRAC), 2003-2007.
- Member, DARPA Information Science and Technology (ISAT) Study Group, 2000-2004.
- Panelist, Panel on Transforming Healthcare, President's Information Technology Advisory Committee (PITAC), 2001.
- Taskforce on Healthcare and the National Information Infrastructure, co-author, Highway to Health: Transforming U.S. Health Care in the Information Age, Committee on Competitiveness, 1996.
- Affiliate Associate Professor, University of Washington, Computer Science and Engineering and Biomedical and Health Informatics.
- Cofounder and Board of Directors, Decision Education Foundation, Menlo Park, California.
- Editor, Special Issue of Artificial Intelligence Journal on Computational Tradeoffs Under Bounded Resources (editorial overview)
- Editor, Special Issue of Decision Analysis Journal on Graph-Based Methods in Decision Analysis (editorial overview).
- NSF Search Committee, Director of NSF CISE Directorate, 2007.
- NSF Committee of Visitors (COV), Review of ITR Program, CISE, National Science Foundation, 2005.
Association for Uncertainty and Artificial Intelligence, parent of annual UAI conference, 1999-2005.
- Councilor, Executive Council, American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 1997-2000.
- Scientific Advisory Committee, ATL/Philips Ultrasound, 1998-2003.
- Co-organizer, Institute on Biological and Computational Perspectives on Intelligent Systems 2005 (program forward), June 2005, Microsoft Research and University of Washington Friday Harbor Laboratories.
- Co-organizer, Institute on Biological and Computational Perspectives on Intelligent Systems 1998, August 1998, Microsoft Research and University of Washington Friday Harbor Laboratories.
(public communication about meeting).
- Conference chair, UAI '97: Thirteenth Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, August 1997, Brown University, Providence, RI.
- Program Co-chair, UAI '96: Twelfth Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, August 1996, Reed College, Portland, OR.
- Chair, DARPA ISAT study on Probabilistic Methods in Computational Systems and Infrastructure, 1998-1999
- Chair, ISAT study on Foundations of Augmented Cognition, 2000-2001
- Co-organizer, DARPA Augmented Cognition Phase II Kickoff Technical Meeting, Redmond, WA, July 2003.
- Co-chair, NAACL Workshop on Adaptation in Dialog Systems, June 2001, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Program co-chair, Fourth IEEE International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI 2002), Pittsburgh, PA.
- Co-chair, Fall
Symposium on Flexible Computation, November 1996,
Back to Eric Horvitz's home page.